Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The 3rd Trimester


It is hard to believe that my third trimester started yesterday.  In some ways, the time has flown by and I wish we had more time to prepare for the baby; in other ways, I feel like I’ve been pregnant FOREVER and April feels like an eternity away. 
We took advantage of being home over the holidays and tackled some major projects:
-          We vacated my office to turn it into the nursery and moved my office into the guest room.  We are really happy with how the new office/guest room/Dakota’s room looks and functions.  And we are still able to receive overnight guests! 
-          We set up the crib, a gift from Beth and Don.  We adore it—it is sophisticated, cute, functional and of course most importantly, SAFE. 




-          We created our baby registries with the help of friends with babies, emailed lists, other blog suggestions and extensive research.   
-          We’ve started setting up the nursery closet and putting away the many generous hand-me-downs (some I even handed down to myself from when I was a baby that my mom miraculously preserved in pristine condition) and gifts. 
We had our 26 week appointment with Dr. Serden last week. 
-          The baby weighs 2 lbs and is looking fantastic, with everything measuring right on track.  I’ve gained 17lbs. 
-          I took (and passed!) the glucose test for gestational diabetes, which was a relief to me considering my dessert intake.   
-          We had an ultrasound and got to see her little body.  Right now she is in breach position; however the doctor says she will most likely flip to be head down before delivery. 
-          Before we started the ultrasound, Dr. Serden pressed all around my belly with his hands and settled on one spot in particular which felt kind of like a tennis ball.  He had Brice feel too and told us it was her head.  He put the ultrasound wand down at that spot, and he was right on the money.  I’m sure he does this 20 times a day, but we thought it was pretty cool.   And we also found out that we can press on my belly 50x harder than we had been previously—however still neither of us are comfortable doing so.      
-          Our next appointment is at 30 weeks and after that we start going every 2 weeks. 
PREGNANCY BRAIN is in full effect.   I go to the kitchen with an empty glass to get more water and once I arrive there I can’t remember what I’m supposed to be doing.   I ask the same question multiple times, sometimes seconds after the first time I’ve asked.  I watch a whole TV show and can’t tell you a thing that happened.   I’ve lost/misplaced countless items—at least once a day I have a mini melt down and tear the house apart because I can’t find my phone or my shoes or my Kindle or car keys.   Brice has been very patient with me and has already looked through the trash twice just this week as a last resort (one of the times the missing item was there!).   I actually felt anxious today when the garbage was collected and who knew what else was in there that I’ve thrown away mistakenly… 
SLEEPING is becoming increasingly difficult.  I fully intended to take advantage of sleeping as much as possible before the baby arrived, but my body feels otherwise and is already training for sleep deprivation. 
HEALTH/EXERCISE is still cleared by my doctor, and so my spinning, yoga and running routines are intact.    Brice started coming to yoga with me and is enjoying it a lot.  We do all of our workouts together now, and with a jogging stroller and baby yoga, hopefully LL will get assimilated into our active lifestyle. 
DAKOTA has been a topic of conversation/questions from many people.   Like all pet owners, we have often wondered how Dakota will react to a new girl in the house.   We are convinced that she already knows that I’m pregnant.   She has not left my side during the whole pregnancy.    She has always been protective of me, but since becoming pregnant, she has been even more so.   She stays by my side ALWAYS, even during some pretty unpleasant moments of morning sickness.   We predict that she will be loving and protective of her little sister.  She’s already practicing with the empty crib! 
  

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love the crib and can't wait to see the fully decorated nursery...

    ReplyDelete